An Alphabetical listing of the people behind the place names in Medicine Hat.

(To go to a particular name Press Ctrl F and enter the name in the blank area at the bottom of the screen.)


Alexandra Composite High School, Alexandra Junior High School and Alexandra ST SE
(SE Hill)

The school was constructed ca. 1900 and was originally called Alexandra High School. It was named after the consort of King Edward VII. He began his reign in 1901. Queen Alexandra was known for the time and money she spent helping the poor. For a time the school was called Alexandra Composite High School, but came under the wrecking ball ca. 1970. Alexandra Junior High School was erected in its place.

Amos Place SE

(Possibly named after Red Amos – further research required!)

Ashburner Park
(12th ST & 3 AV NE)

Roderick Ashburner was born on September 23, 1913, in Medicine Hat. He was employed as a Reporter and then as Editor of the Medicine Hat News and later, as an Insurance Adjustor. He was also actively involved in the community having served as President of the Cypress Club in 1961, President of the Chamber of Commerce in 1970, Director with the Chamber of Commerce from 1966 to 1971, Director and Vice President of the Medicine Hat Exhibition and Stampede Company, Chairman of the Board at Medicine Hat College, and President of the Rotary Club. Mr. Ashburner was also a member of the Senate at the University of Calgary, the Medicine Hat Kinsmen Club and was actively involved in several musical theatre productions. Rod Ashburner died August 1, 1974.


Bannon Ave SW
(S.W. Hill/Industrial Area)
(Should have been spelled Bannan – see below)

W.T. Bannan was an Alderman (1922-1925, 1928-1929) and and board member of the M.H. Hospital (1889-1933).

Bassett CR NW
(NW Crescent Heights)

Richard Thomas Bassett and his wife Isabella (nee Greive) came to Medicine Hat in August, 1883 while Richard was working for the CPR. At the time, CPR rails were being driven across the prairies and the Bassett family was one of the first families of Medicine Hat. In 1888, he rented property owned by Tweed and Ewart, a small frame building, establishing the first hotel in the city, which later developed into the Cosmopolitan Hotel. Richard Bassett died in 1891, leaving his wife to continue the operation of the hotel.

Becker Park
(14 ST & 9 AVE NE)

Mr. Becker was a resident from 1891 until 1943 when he passed away. He was a Ross Creek rancher, built parts of the downtown business district, served on the hospital board and was the principal sponsor for the first elevator in the hospital.

Bennett CT NW
(NW Crescent Heights)

Edward D. Bennett came to MH in 1908 as a land locator. His honesty and generosity helped make him wealthy in this community. In 1912 he gave a generous donation to the YMCA building fund. He was an alderman from 1917-1918. He was also a board member of the hospital. He moved to Nebraska in 1923.
(Ref: MHN Aug 11, 1962)

Binder CR NW

Black BV NW
(NW Crescent Heights)

Robert Clarke Black (1875-1962) came to Medicine Hat in 1905. He ran Black’s Hardware Store on 2nd Street for many years. It was a well known business in the community. Publicly he was probably best known as an alderman, which he was for 16 years, one of the longest terms up to then. During the Great Depression he was chairman of the Finance Committee and always managed to balance the budget. Robert also served on the school board. (1915-1930)and the hospital board.
(Ref: MHN, August 11, 1962)

Bomford CR SW
(SW Light Industrial Area)

Mr. Edmund Seymour Bomford (1867-1954)(he was known as Seymour) came to Medicine Hat in 1887. Upon arrival he worked for the CPR as a fireman but switched to baggage handling until he retired some 43 years later.

Braemer ST SE

(See “Vera Bracken Library”)

Bray CR SW and Bray CR Park

J.H.G. Bray joined the North West Mounted Police in Toronto in 1873. In 1892 he moved west permanently and as Sergeant Major was in (charge of?) Medicine Hat at the barracks at Police Point. There are several Brays still living in the Medicine Hat area.

Brier Industrial Park

Brier Park CR

Amy Brier was born November 12, 1873, in Yorkshire, England. Her Father, Henry Brier, came to Medicine Hat in 1884, and brought his family to the city in 1887. They lived in a railway boxcar until their log house was built on their land which is now known as the Brier Park area. Amy Brier who passed away August 18, 1964, was the last surviving member of a family of eight. She was predeceased by her Mother in 1912, her Father in 1924,

Bullivant CR SW
(SW Hill/Kensington)

Isaac (Ike) Bullivant arrived in the ‘Hat in 1903 and started a shoe store. He became an alderman in 1925 and then was mayor from 1926 until 1938. He was therefore the administrator that took the City through the tough depression years. Isaac was only surpassed by Harry Veiner as to length of time in office. He died in a traffic accident in 1954 near Cloverdale, B.C.

Burns CR NW
(NW Crescent Heights)

Arthur P. Burns was born in Ontario and came to southern Alberta just prior to 1900 and ranched for many years in the district. He owned the Gas City Planing Mill and at one time was vice-president of the Medicine Hat News. He also service for two terms on City Council. He was involved with a number of local organizations – the Western Reclamation Association (first president), the Chamber of Commerce, Alberta Fish and Game Association (president), and during WWII he as chairman of the Medicine Hat and District Committee for National War Finance. He passed away at the age of 86 in 1963.

As a side note, his son Bob (1918-1992) was a musician, having studied at the Toronto Conservatory of Music and Julliard, and under the stage name Glenn Burns performed in England for some ten years before returning to the ‘Hat. Bob was employed at CHAT Radio & Television until his retirement.

Burton PL

Eugene (Gene) Hume Burton was born at Medicine Hat in 1900, the son of Willam & Winnifred Burton. In 1923 he started the V-T Ranch by pitching a tent on a piece of land south of the ‘Hat. Throughout his lifetime he lived on and maintained the ranch for 46 years and became the epitome of the old-time rancher. This was in spite of his father who “hated cowpunchers worse than anything and did not want Gene to follow in his footsteps. Gene was active in many organizations in the Medicine Hat are – the Western Stock Growers Association, the Chamber of Commerce, etc., but is probably best known for his involvement with the Medicine Hat Exhibition & Stampede Co.

There is a commemorative plaque which describes this individual very well and reads: “Eugene Burton – Son of the Plains, Cattleman, raconteur of great renown, a member of that rough-hewn and vanishing breed who maintained as a personal creed the belief that nothing is more important to man than his independence and his outspoken individualism. It was the happiest of associations that brought the Burton wit and natural wisdom to bear upon the affairs of Medicine Hat Junior College in the formative years of that institution and the drive and zeal of his personal efforts were of great importance to administration and the library fund campaign. On behalf of the citizens of Medicine Hat and district, the Medicine Hat Junior College does hereby pay heartfelt and unstinting tribute on the occasion of the second anniversary of the inauguration of this college.”


Cairney CR SE

Presumably named after Jim Cairney, policeman on the Medicine Hat Police Service from 1928 until his retirement in 1967. He was the seventh man on the force and rose to the rank of sergeant. At the time the force had only one car, a 1917 Ford convertible without a top. It must have made winter driving rather challenging, especially since the doors wouldn’t stay shut and had to be tied. Until 1941 the police department was in the basement of City Hall with the fire department occupying the floor above. Cairney’s first patrols were either on foot or on a bicycle borrowed from the gas department’s meterman. In 1932 a Harley Davidson motorbike was purchased and people stared at Jim riding around on this unusual patrol vehicle.

Cairns Way SE

Calder Bay,Circle, Court, Cres, Green, Place, Road SE & Calder Park

Dr. John G. Calder came from Ingersol, Ontario in the early 1890’s. In 1900 Dr. Calder was appointed Health Officer. He served on the board of the MH hospital between 1889 and 1933. He was a trustee for the Oddfellows Lodge and an active Orangeman.

Cameron PL SE

(More research is required as it is not clear for which member of the family Cameron Place was named.)

John Albert Cameron came from Nova Scotia. John and Jennie Cameron came to Winnipeg on their honeymoon from Halifax, N.S. They were on the same train as the soldiers who came west to fight in the North West Rebellion in 1885. He brought the first sleeping car into Winnipeg for the CPR and across the Assiniboine River. They moved to the ‘Hat in 1899. It is not known at this time how many of their children were born in the ‘Hat, or lived here, other than it is known that John Albert Jr. was born here January 19, 1900.

Campbell CR SE

Dr. Wilfred Campbell was a well known medical doctor who served in this community for 51 years. He arrived in the ‘Hat in 1929 just prior to the Great Depression, planning to stay long enough to make some money and go back to university. He ended up staying for the rest of his career and life. He was honoured in 1979 as Medicine Hat’s Citizen of the year.

Carr CR SE

Mary Veronica Carr was best known in Medicine Hat as a music teacher that went from school to school working with students of all ages to get them interested in singing. However, there is more to the story than that. She was born in Edmonton (1908) and received her early schooling there, but graduated from Alexandra High School in the ‘Hat. After attending Normal School in Calgary she began a teaching career in rural Alberta. She started teaching in M.H. School District No. 76 in 1931 and retired in 1971. In 1943 she became the Music Supervisor, and thus began her role of treking from school to school with music books in hand. She was also very much involved in Fifth Avenue United Church, and was in the choir there for over 60 years. Mary passed away in 2006.

Carry DR SE, CR SE & Park

Rod Carry was known in the Medicine Hat area for two reasons – his involvement in the oil patch and his involvement in the Medicine Hat Tigers. Rod was born in Acadia Valley and after getting an education spent several years working on Imperial Oil’s Number 3 well in Leduc. He and his new bride came to M.H. in 1955 where he established Joyline Transport. In 1969, Carry along with two partners purchased an expansion team to play hockey in the new arena – the Medicine Hat Tigers. He was very keen on his team and went above and beyond for his players. He passed away at age 79 in 2005.

Carswell RD SE

Carter CR

Archdeacon John Wilfred Carter was rector of St. Barnabas Church from 1949 until the time of his retirement in 1973. He was well respected by members of all denominations and by the community at large. He was well known for his hospital work in particular where he spent many hours at the bedsides of persons (not only Anglicans) who were in need of a friend. He also worked with the Sea Cadets and the Canadian Legion.


Castelani CR SE

Katherine Castelani (nee Weiss) was born in Bessarabia in 1896 and came to Canada at the age of two. Her family homesteaded in the Elkwater area. She married Rudolf Castelani and move to the ‘Hat where they raised five children. Katherine became known in the community as the first woman here to enter the real estate business. Since then, many other women have followed in her footsteps in that business.

Cavan CT SE

Six men are associated with the founding and early years of the Medicine Hat Stampede: Warren Cooper, Emerson Porter, “Mac” Higdon, Henry Cavan, Herman Linder and Reg Kessler.


Chow AV SE

(More research required. In 1990-91 Connie Chow conducted interviews with members of the Chinese community as well as collecting photographs of familys and their businesses.)

Church CT SE

Sheila Church was the co-winner of the Humanitarian 1993 Civic Recognition Award for volunteer work with the Victim Assistance Unit since 1988 and primary volunteer who originated the program. She has also worked with the mentally handicapped as a Group Home Support Worker, and has been involved in the Heart Fund, minor hockey and as a school volunteer.

Clark CR SE
(East Glenn area)

Prior to 1899 John R. Clark filled the shoes simultaneously (more or less) of the Health Officer, the Licence and Building Inspector and Policeman. In 1899 Clark relinquished the role of Health Officer to John G. Calder. Also in 1900 George Marwick was appointed local Police Constable and License Inspector. Having passed the torch for these roles, John then became a trustee of the MH School District No. 76 (1899 & 1900) and served as a board member of the MH Hospital between 1899 and 1933.

Clelland CR SE

James Clelland was a tailor with Jesse Elliott & Co. (Were there other Clellands that would have deserved a street named after them?)

Clennel CR SE

Clover CT SE

(There is a Clover Hill area near Irvine. Is there a connection?)

Cobb RD SE

Coburg AV SE

Cochran DR NW
(NW Crescent Heights)

L.B. Cochran was a Trustee on the MH School District No. 76 from 1886 to 1887 and a Board Member of the MH Hospital between 1889 and 1933.

Cockrill CT SE

Collier CT & RD SE and Park
(East Glen area)

Joanne Collier was the recipient of the Cultural 1998 Civic Recognition Award for providing the youth of MH with an excellent exposure to music. She has been an adjudicator and teacher at musical festivals in Alberta. Joanne has served on the board of the Choral Federation, is a charter member of Music Alberta and was appointed Artistic Manager of Conservator of Music and Dance.

Collins CR SE
(Crestwood, just off Carry Drive)

Sonny Collins was known as “The Ultimate Warrior” for his involvement in golfing, both as an avid golfer and organizing golf tournaments. He was a director of the Alberta Golf Association. His nickname came about because he would not give up on anything.

Colter CR NW
(NW Crescent Heights)

John Charles Colter came west with the railway in 1883 to work on construction of the first CPR train bridge in the ‘Hat. Later on he worked as a stone, brick and concrete mason. John worked on a number of buildings including the old hospital and the nurses’ residence. As a stone mason it was necessary to have lime. He obtained this by gathering native limestone and burning it in a pit kiln near his home. This was near the sie of the old ball park and current arena. There was gas and water belching out of an abandoned water well. He drilled the first gas well there in 1903 in his own back yard and piped the gas into his lime kiln and into his house at 877 Second Street. Later he drilled a second gas well, a “blower” that enlivened a Fall Fair in progress nearby as it blew in. J.C goes on record as the first person to make use of natural gas here.
(Ref: MHN Aug 11, 1962)

Connaught DR SW & Park

Named after the Duke of Connaught.

Connaught School
(8 ST & 2 AV SW)
(See Connaught DR above)

Cook CT SE

(Which of the following was the street named after?)

Thomas Cook, took over Nott’s Funeral Home upon the death of Mr. Nott. It was renamed Cook’s Funeral Chapel until the retirement of Mr. Cook, but the original establishment continues today as Cook Southland.

Harry P. Cook was involved with the construction of the Finlay Bridge in 1907. Subsequently he became the Superintendent of the Gas Department of the City in 1914.

Cooney RD SE
(Crestwood, just off Carry Drive)

Fr. Eugene Cooney was born December 10, 1931 in Medicine Hat, the third of five children. His parents were devout Catholics who belonged to St. Patrick’s parish and it was in this homelife with its shared beliefs and committments that the future bishop developed his strong Christian identity. In his Medicine Hat school days he attended St. Louis Elementary and St. Theresa Academy. He entered St. Joseph’s Academy in Edmonton in 1954 and was ordained to the priesthood in 1960. He served as pastor at various churches throughout the province, including St. Mark’s in Calgary, which he built. In 1996 he was appointed by Pope John Paul as bishop of Nelson, B.C.

Cooper RD SE

Six men are associated with the founding and early years of the Medicine Hat Stampede: Warren Cooper, Emerson Porter, “Mac” Higdon, Henry Cavan, Herman Linder and Reg Kessler.

Corbitt WY SE

Cousins CT SE & Park

William Cousins was born in London, Ontario, in 1856, and arrived in Medicine Hat in 1883, with a wagon load of goods. He set up a small tent located in present day Riverside Park, and operated one of the first General Stores there. He briefly returned to Ontario in 1884, but came back to Medicine Hat with a new bride, Jessie (nee Thornton), and more goods for the store. The Cousins had 4 children: Jessie, Isabel, Grace and Gerald. William entered into partnership with H.S. Scatcherd and continued in the general store business until 1900, when he sold to Albert DesBrisay. He then moved onto other business ventures including real estate and ranching. William Cousins was very active in community affairs. He served as the first Clerk of the Supreme Court of the NWT, as Justice of the Peace, and as Registrar of Bills of Sale and Mortgages. He was a founder and early President of the Medicine Hat Agricultural Society, a co-founder of the Cypress Club (1902), a Hospital Board and Board of Trade member, and President of the Southeastern Alberta Navigation Company, the company responsible for the building and short-lived paddlesteamer “The City of Medicine Hat”. He also had the distinction of holding the office of Mayor (1907-1908). William passed away in Medicine Hat in 1940, at the age of 84.

Cowan CR SE

Craig RD SE

Crane RD SE Ernest E. Crane was with LePage? Bros. Department Store in the early 1900’s. (Were there other Cranes that would have deserved a street named after them?)

Craven PL SE

The street was named after R.M. Craven who served on City Council as an Alderman from 1967 to 1969. There are other Cravens in MH who are well known and these include Ron Craven who played for the MH Tigers hockey team and Wayne Craven, who also was a member of City Council.

Crockett WY SE & Park

Born in Kirkcudbrightshire, Scotland in 1885, Bill Crockett came to Medicine Hat in 1903 with his brother, Barney. Bill knew the country as a cowboy, rancher and soldier. Originally, he worked at the J.K. Drinnan store in Medicine Hat and later worked on the Hargrave ranch at Walsh. He learned the ways of the cowboys and stockmen, becoming one of the best riders and stock handlers on the range. In 1914 he served with Colonel Frank Sissons as a member of the C.E.F. in the 3rd C.M.R. and was awarded with various decorations, including the Croix de Guerre. Upon his return from the war, he acquired a ranch near, Invermere, British Columbia but found that he missed the prairies. He traded with Walter Hawk for his place on the Gros Ventre Creek, south of Dunmore, Alberta. In 1968, he retired to Medicine Hat and became an avid gardener until his death in 1977.

Crockford CR NW
(NW Crescent Heights)

Michael J. Crockford came from Dunster, Somerset, England in 1893 and lived in Revelstoke, B.C. for a short while. When he came to the ‘Hat he started a coal mine just west of the community. It was called the Crockford Brothers Coal Mine, and was in operation until 1908 with Michael and his two brothers. He then started ranching in the Winnifred area. He passed away in 1958 at the age of 85. (The name of the mine was changed to the Ajax Coal Mine and is still a site of historical interest.)
(Ref: MHN Aug 11, 1962)

Cunliffe CR SE & Park

John Harvey Cunliffe came west from Ontario with his young wife in 1882 to Manitoba and joined the CPR in Winnipeg in 1886. In 1887 they moved to Medicine Hat and made their first home with their four children in two boxcars on the site where the Eaton’s store eventually was built.

He was a CPR passenger conductor from 1895 until his retirement in 1919. He had the misfortune of losing his right hand in a railway accident.

John was the first assessor for the Medicine Hat School District and is probably the same J. Cunliffe that is shown as being on town council in 1922.

He retired to Vancouver in 1927, where he passed away in 1936.

Currie CT SE

Austin James Currie was born August 6, 1911, in Russell, Manitoba, to James and Marie (nee Madill) Currie.

Austin married Ethel (nee Higdon), October 26, 1940. They had no children. Ethel was born June 26, 1913, the only child of Mack and Mattie (nee Franks) Higdon. She attended school in Manyberries and Medicine Hat. After graduation, Ethel took a commercial course and became secretary-treasurer for the family ranching company. When she was 23 years old, she took a private and commercial pilots course and received her license. Ethel met Austin Currie in Lethbridge while he was an instructor at the flying school there. He was an early day bush pilot and so the couple spent many years stationed in various places across Canada. On the couple’s return to Medicine Hat, they purchased and managed Western Lockers, a packing plant and cold storage operation.

Austin Currie passed away June 26, 1986. Ethel became very active in the community as a member of the John Howard Society, the Y.W.C.A., the Hospital Auxiliary, as President of the Quota Club and was named Lady of Merit in 1954 for that organization.

Cuyler RD SE

J.Thomas Cuyler was a well known teacher and school principal. He came to the city in 1911 and for awhile was in the real estate business. However, he soon got education and was a teacher for some time before becoming the principal at Connaught School in 1946, and subsequently the principal at Alexandra High School.

To put in mildly, J.T., as he was known, was a strict disciplinarian. He had a cork arm, a replacement for an arm lost, possibly in WWI. He developed a reputation for using it to discipline students. I am aware of several male students who were victims, not the least of whom was my father, Ed Morris. What J.T. typically would do is to approach an offending student from the back of the room while the student was busy. He would use his body to swing the cork arm and hit the back of the unsuspecting student with a might whack that would be heard throughout the classroom. Invariably whatever inappropriate behaviour was going on by the student would cease immediately. (This, of course would not only by inappropriate behavior by a teacher in today’s world, but a criminal offence. However, those were the days when corporal punishment such as using the strap on student’s hands or backside was commonplace!)

In retirement J.T. moved to Calgary, where he was involved with Mount Royal College. He passed away at age 83 in December of 1970.


Dan MacCharles Park
(3 ST & 2 AV SW)

Dr. Donald “Dan” Neil !MacCharles was born in Baddeck, Cape Breton Island, on September 20, 1891. He graduated from the University of Manitoba in 1918, with a Degree in Medicine. He practiced in Alsask and Empress, Saskatchewan, before coming to Medicine Hat in 1927, where he was instrumental in founding the Medical Arts Clinic that same year. In 1913, he married Nina (nee Philip), and they had 2 children: Dr. E.D. “Pat” !MacCharles and Phyllis. Dr. !MacCharles was a Fellow in the American College of Surgeons, the International College of Surgeons, as well as a Certified Specialist with the Canadian College of Surgeons. In 1944 and 1945, he was elected to the Council of the Alberta College of Physicians and Surgeons, and again from 1948 to 1951. He was honored with a Life Membership in the Canadian Medical Association, Alberta Division in 1959, and in 1961, he was made Senior Member of the Canadian Medical Association. He also received an Honorary Doctor of Law degree from the University of Alberta in 1959. Dr. !MacCharles was very active in the community as a member of the Masonic Lodge, the Medicine Hat Shrine Club, the Loyal Order of Moose, the Independent Order of Foresters, St. John’s Presbyterian Church, as well as being active in the Boy Scout movement. Dr. Dan MacCharles passed away on September 17, 1962. The Dr. Dan !MacCharles park on 3rd Street S.W., as well as the Auxiliary Wing of the Medicine Hat Regional Hospital are named in his honor. His son Pat, also practiced medicine in Medicine Hat for a number of years.

(Just off Industrial Avenue (Highway 41) at east end of City, near I-XL Industries)

Addison P. Day deserves a fair bit of print and therefore recognition, given the role he played in the early ranching industry as well as basically starting the Medicine Hat Exhibition and Stampede. From documents obtainable at the Medicine Hat Museum and Archives it appears that he was instrumental in starting the Calgary Exhibition and Stampede as well. Certainly he was a colourful figure in the days of the open range.

Ad, as he was called, was born in Austin Texas in 1873 into a family of cattle ranchers. Several brothers and uncles also were involved in raising long horn cattle, including the ranch of “Turkey Track” fame.

Ad, along with his wife, Ada, and their children Ad. Jr. and Galena came to the Medicine Hat area in 1903. Ad and his brother Tony built adjoining houses on Esplanade Street, facing the river. With Tony’s help, Ad bought the Cross Z ranch some 75 miles south of Medicine Hat. Tony also owned the nearby Q ranch. Besides cattle, Clydesdale and Percheron horses were raised.

According to an article written by Mary Terrill of Medicine Hat, in the Canadian Cattlemen magazine, October 1950 issue, the Stampede was introduced into Canada at Medicine Hat, by the Days, in 1904. It consisted of bucking and roping contests as well as horse and harness racing. In 1905 or 1906, Indian races and relays were added. In those days there was no prize money. All the excitement lay in the betting that took place.

In 1912 Guy Weadick and a friend went to Calgary to see if they could put on a similar show. They talked to George Lane, a cattleman, and to Pat Burns, rancher and owner of a meat packing business. They knew Ad, and were aware that he had a string of bucking horses – all the stock needed for a successful rodeo. They also knew that he could produce and direct a good show. They sent Guy to the ‘Hat to see if Ad was interested. Ad went up to Calgary, talked to them and offered to put up part of the money. They told him that they had sufficient money and wouldn’t need any more to finance the show. However, Ad agreed to produce and direct the show, which he did. Guy Weadick was the Publicity Director and ran the office. Ed picked Johnnie Mullins, a good hand, to be the Assistant Arena Director.

This first Calgary Stampede was a great show. It rained really hard and the infield was very sloppy. Ford Day, Ad’s brother, won the steer roping contest. The Duke and Duchess of Connaught attended the show and enjoyed it immensely. There was a night show as well in the horse barn.

There wasn’t another Calgary Stampede until 1919. In the meanwhile, Ad went on to produce other stampede events at Gleichen, Lethbridge, Winnipeg and Medicine Hat. He was even involved in one in Los Angeles later on.

Eventually, Ad sold the Cross Z ranch and invested in property im Medicine Hat, including two theatres and a pottery. Unfortunately, just after WWI the financial situation in Medicine Hat went sour and he left Medicine Hat for the States and lost most of his investments. He went to Los Angeles and managed a cattle feeding operation there.

Douglas CRT NW
(NW Crescent Heights)

James Douglas was an early resident of Medicine Hat, who it is believed purchased a stationery business from a Mr. MacDonald, who had previously bought out Ben Niblock. Mr. Douglas was Superintendent of the Methodist Sunday School in about 1892. His son, Everett purchased a small herd of cattle and started ranching in the area in 1900. There is a gravestone in Hillside Cemetary for a James Douglas who passed away in May of 1909 and this is presumably him.

Dunmore RD SE


Earl Kitchener School

Elder AVE SE

Dr. G.G. Elder was specialist in epthamology and otolaryngology and began to practice in Medicine Hat in 1920. He was one of the founders of the Medical Arts Clinic. He continued his practice until shortly before his death in April, 1962.

Dr. Elder was well known for his work in the army. He was a lieutenant-colonel in the South Alberta Regiment in Medicine Hat prior to the Second World War. However, he transferred to the RCAF and served as a medical officer in Canada and Newfoundland until his discharge in 1945.

Dr. Elder was active in the Royal Canadian Legion, Masonic Lodge, Shrine Club, and in the work of his church. (REF: MHNews April 11, 1962)

Elliott ST SE

It is difficult to know which of the Elliotts the street was named after, so both gentlemen are shown below.)

William M. Elliott was Born in Blissevain, Manitoba and came to Medicine Hat in 1920, having transferred here with the Dominion Bank. He married Jessie Cousins, daughter of Mr. and Mrs. William Cousins, pioneer family of Medicine Hat.

Mr. Elliott resigned from the bank and formed the firm of Cousins-Elliott Insurance.

He was in the army during both wars and died in the Belcher Hospital in Calgary in 1967.

George Wesley Elliott was well known in commercial circles in Medicine Hat where since 1907 he was engaged in the jewelry business and was the owner of the largest store of its kind in the community.

Mr. Elliott was bon in Hollin, County of Perth, Ontario in 1874. In 1900 he married Alice Beamish of Calgary and they settled in Medicine Hat in 1907. They had two children, Lorne and Edith.

George was a Mason and a Shriner. He was a member of the local Board of Trade and active in the Church of England.

REF: Book “History of the Province of Alberta”)

Ewart CR SE
(East Glen)

John Ewart, one of Medicine Hat’s first residents, was born in Montreal on March 22, 1861. His parents had previously emigrated from England. John was educated at schools in Montreal and at McGill? College.

In 1883, John Ewart moved west with the rails. He met Thomas Tweed in Winnipeg, and the two proceeded further west together, first by rail, then by horse and buggy. The two arrived in Medicine Hat before the CPR, and established a general store in a tent on the riverbank. The business was called “Tweed and Ewart”.

John Ewart married Jessie Herald, the daughter of the local Presbyterian Minister James Herald, in 1887. Their home, a red brick house now located at 433 1st Street SE, was also built the same year. Today, it is the oldest known brick residence in the province and has been given historical designation. The home was built of locally manufactured brick from McCord?‘s Brick Yard, one of Medicine Hat’s earliest brick making plants. John and his wife Jessie had four children, but only two survived to adulthood. McLaren? Ewart, their son, was born September 1, 1889. Their daughter Jacqueline, was born May 19, 1893.

John Ewart, a successful merchant and rancher, was elected Public School Trustee in 1891. His health however, was not good, and in 1892, he left for California hoping to recover. He passed away in California in 1893, at the age of 32 years, leaving behind his pregnant wife and his infant son. (REF: MHN August 11, 1962)

Ewart Park
(2 ST & 2 AV SE Downtown)
(See Ewart CR above)

Ewart Duggan House
(Located at 433 1st Street SE – downtown)

It is the oldest known brick residence in the province and fortunately has been designated as a Provincial Heritage site. The home was built of locally manufactured brick. The house is named after the Duggan family, and specifically John Ewart, who was born in Montreal in 1861. He moved to Winnipeg in 1883 where he met Thomas Tweed. The pair then ventured to MH and established a business “Tweed and Ewart”. Both John and Thomas were some of Medicine Hat’s first residents. In 1887 he built the aforementioned house and occupied it with his wife that he had married earlier that year.


Fehr RD SW

Finlay Bridge

William T. Finlay arrived in Medicine Hat in 1883 when there was little more than tents in the river valley. He was working for the Northwest Lumber Company and saw an opportunity in the ‘Hat. He later began his own company in the same business – Finlay and Company. In 1898 Finlay ran for a seat in the Legislature of the North-West Territories in Regina. He lost that election and turned to municipal politics in Medicine Hat. In 1900 he was elected mayor and was Medicine Hat’s mayor for two years. In 1902 he turned again to territorial politics and in 1905 he was elected to the first Alberta legislature. He was assigned the portfolio of Minister of Agriculture, a most important position given the number of farmers settling Alberta at the time.

As the MLA for Medicine Hat and the Minister of Agriculture, Finlay oversaw many things, including transportation in Southern Alberta. In 1905 he made the promise that if a bridge could be procured for Medicine Hat he would get it built. At the very first Executive Council meeting of the newly created Government of Alberta he began to advocate for its construction. Despite opposition to the $140,000 cost he did not stop until there was approval for the bridge. Construction began in 1906 and the bridge was completed May 14, 1908.

Finlay CRT SW
(See Finlay Bridge above.)

Flanagan Park
(5th AV & 18th ST NE)

Noreen Flanagan (1912-1982) Noreen Flanagan was a prominent citizen of Medicine Hat as she devoted her organizational talents to a lifetime of helping the community in almost every aspect of community life. She worked at the old General Hospital for 41 years and as an administrator she helped in the planning of the new hospital.

She was born in the City as the eldest of 12 children in the family and remained single all her life, living mostly at home with her mother.

Noreen acted in plays and directed others including those that were put on for the service men during the Second World War. She was the recipient of many awards including the Quota Club’s Lady of Merit in 1957. She was Medicine Hat’s first female Citizen of the Year in 1971. She was also honoured with the Alberta Achievemeent Award, the Queen’s Silver Jubilee Medal and the Order of Canada.

(Ref: (REF: MHN March 29, 1980)


Gardner PL SE

George Davison School
(South Ridge)

G.H. Davison first became well known in the ‘Hat as Secretary-Treasurer for the Medicine Hat School District No. 76, where he served in that capacity from 1946 until he retired in 1970. George had been a school teacher in the area prior to WWII, when he joined the Southern Alberta Regiment and ended up serving overseas as an officer with a British Regiment. Thus his stint with the School District began just post-war. In 1968 George was elected to City Council as an alderman and continued there until 1983(?). George also served as Chairman of the Board of Governors of the Medicine Hat College from 1972-1973. For many years George was very involved with local service organizations such as the Rotary as well. He was the first recipient of the Citizen of the Year Award in 1966.

Georges P. Vanier School

Gehring RD SW

Gershaw DR

Gilwell Park
(Armories area, south of Youth)

Gilwell Park in Medicine Hat is named in honour of Lord Baden Powell the founder of the world wide Scouting movement and specifically of the orginal Gilwell Park. Gilwell Park in England is the major camp site and activity centre for Scouting groups, as well as a training and conference centre for Scout Leaders. The 44 hectare (109 acre) site is in Sewardstonebury, Epping Forest, close to Chingford, London.

(Date of Adoption: 1983/03/07. Ref: MHCC)

Goldie Park
(26th St & 16 Ave SE)

Named after Sam Goldie, Post Master in Medicine Hat for many years and well known in the community.

(Date of Adoption: 1981/15/08. Ref: MHCC)

Gray CR NW
(NW Crescent Heights)

William H. Gray Sr. was one of the greatest friends to juvenile sport in Medicine Hat’s history. (Ref: MHN Aug 11, 1962)

Greenwood CRT SW


Halifax WAY SW

Hamilton CRT NE Joseph W. Hamilton was Trustee of the Medicine Hat School Board in 1914. He was president of the Industrial Iron Works also.

Hamptons CL SE

Hargrave WAY NW & Park
(4 ST & Division AV NE)

Harris ST SW

Believed to be named after Frank Harris who was a senior employee in the Gas Department at the City for 29 years. Frank was a soldier in WWI and was gassed while in battle. He died in March 1947. The light industrial area in southwest Medicine Hat was originally going to be called Harrisville after him.

Hatcher CRT NE

Hawke CR NE

It is believed that this crescent was named in honour of Walter L. Hawke who was a rancher and also owned a house in the city.

Hawthorne AV NE
(NE Crescent Heights)

A.C Hawthorne was a member of Council in 1899, mayor in 1903, 1915 and 1916. He was also owner of a men’s clothing store from the early 1900’s until it closed in the 1960s (?)

(NE Crescent Heights)

He was one of Canada’s most prominent irrigation engineers, and a resident of the city for many years. As a tribute to his development work for the PFRA, the townsite of Hays, Alberta was named in his honour.
(Ref: MHN Aug 11, 1962)

Hayward CL NE

Heald Park

Ernie Heald was the first parks superintendent and the creator of Central Park. Ernie was the initial owner of the Ranchlands area with a park setting known as Heald Grove.

Heald Pool
(1st ST & 2nd AV NW)

See Heald Park, above

Herald Drive NW & Park
(NW Crescent Heights)

Rev. Herald was a board member of the MH Hospital between 1889 and 1933)

Hearne CRT NE

Heckbert CRT NE

Hemingway CR NE

Henderson CRT NE

Herald DR NW

Herald School

Hewitt CRT NE J.J. Hewitt was an early hardware dealer, owning Hewitt Hardware before it became Black’s.

Higdon AVE SE

Six men are associated with the founding and early years of the Medicine Hat Stampede: Warren Cooper, Emerson Porter, “Mac” Higdon, Henry Cavan, Herman Linder and Reg Kessler.

Hilton CR NE F.D.G. Hilton

Hobbs WAY NE

Holsom RD SW

Holt CR NE Harry Holt was a pioneer farmer whose farm was located north of the City.

Holt CR Park (See above)

Horne BV NE

Horner CT NE J.H. Horner was an early rancher. His land was where the present Medicine Hat Golf Club is located.

Huckvale CR SW & Park

Hudson CR NE

Hughes CT, CR NE & Park
(NE Crescent Heights)

These streets and parks were named after Albert Hughes, who settled in the ‘Hat in 1890, when he purchased a drug store business.

Albert was born in England in 1850 and after apprenticing as a chemist/pharmacist he worked in London, England as well as Brussels, Belgium and Hong Kong. When he first came to Canada in 1886 he went into partnership in a drug store in Banff, North West Territories. His partner was Dr. Brett who later served as Lieutenant Governor of the Province of Alberta.

Albert’s drug store in the ‘Hat was known as the City Drug Store and is believed to be the first drug store in the community. It was located on South Railway Street next to the Hargrave General Store, which was on the corner of 2nd Street and South Railway. About 1902 the business was sold to E.M. Cawker and B.F. Souch, apparently because he had a great interest in horses and moved his family to the Race Course Ranch, later known as the Woolfrey’s Farm. This quarter section of land is shown on some old city plans as the Hughe’s Sub-division. On that property, Albert raised light horses and always had entries in the local horse races, the Race Course located where the current airport now stands.

Hull CR NE

Hunt CR NE

Hunter CT NE

Huntley CT NE J.R. Huntley was a rancher whose property was near Seven Persons.

Hutchings CT NE

Named after a prominent businessman in Medicine Hat.

Hutchison AV SE

Huxley GN NE


Ireland CT NW
(NW Crescent Heights)

H.S. (or is it N.S.?)Ireland ran the CPR menswear store for many years, and was at one time associated with A.C. Hawthorne and his clothing store. During WWI he equipped the battalion from Medicine Hat with machine guns.
(Ref: MHN Aug 11, 1962)


Jackson PL SE

Jeffries Park
(8 ST & 4 AV NE)


Kipling ST SE

Naturally this was named in honor of the well known poet Rudyard Kipling and his famous visit to Medicine Hat, along with his comment regarding “The City with all Hell for a basement”. Subsequently when he heard that there was a move afoot to change the name he wrote to the City and told them keep the name “Medicine Hat” for its uniqueness.


Lamb CT SE

Lang CR SW

Leinweber Park
(Armories area, north of Youth)

(Date of Adoption: 1983/03/07. Ref: MHCC)

Lokier AV NW & Park

Lupine CT SE

Lussier Park
(14 ST & 6 AV NE)

Lussier was the name suggested originally for an entire new sub-division in Crescent Heights, but eventually a park was named in honour of Mr. Lussier. He had purchased that land early in the 1900’s and farmed it for some years. He had a large diary herd and barn. At the same time he was also the owner of the Babb Ranch south of the city and the Drake Ranch in the Box Springs area. In 1912, during the land boom, the farmland in the Crescent Heights area was sold to a Winnipeg company for sub-division purposes.

In addition he was a contractor who built the CPR roundhouse in 1905 and an addition to the CPR station. He also built the old nurses residence, the English and United Churches and Connaught School.


Macleod Trail SE

Like other Macleod Trails in this province, Macleod Trail in Medicine Hat was named after Colonel Macleod of the North West Mounted Police, just as Fort Macleod, Alberta was named after him as well.

There are some who believe that Macleod Trail was named in honour of a local physician, Dr. J.S. Macleod. Dr. Macleod was born in Prince Edward Island and graduated from McGill University. He came to Medicine Hat in 1912 and established his medical practice here, working from his home on First Street. He was one of the few independent physicians and was a popular and highly respected member of the community.

Markwick DR SE

in 1900 George Marwick was appointed local Police Constable and License Inspector. He was the town’s first police constable.

Marshall AVE SE

W.B. Marshall was a noted early ‘Hatter, as he was Mayor in 1899, as well as owner of Marshall’s Printing. His grandson Jim, as a renowned artist and sculptor in brick certainly needs mentioning here as well.

Martin AVE NW & Park
(Northwest Crescent Heights)


Lorne !McCaig was born in 1891 in Quebec and came west with his brothers Bill and Jack in 1906, homesteading near Elkwater for a couple of years. He later moved into Medicine Hat and went into the hauling business. He was a pick-up man at rodeos for years and was one of the original directors of the Medicine Hat Exhibition and Stampede. Lorne and Amelia McCaig had three children; Irene, Jimmy, and Harold. Lorne passed away in 1962, and Amelia died in 1979.

McCoy High School

McCutcheon DR & PL NW
(NW Crescent Heights)

These were both named for Robert McCutcheon, a former North West Mounted Police officer stationed at Fort Walsh.

McIntosh AVE NW

McKenzie CRES NW
(NW Crescent Heights)

(Which of the many !McKenzies in the ‘Hat was this in honour, as there were at least Ed, Bill and Bruce.)

McNeely CRT SE

McQueen Park
(3 AV & 16 ST NE)

(There are two McQueens that lived in the ‘Hat who deserve to be honoured by a having a park named after them. Which one is your guess.)

Joseph B. McQueen (1888-1947) came to Canada from Scotland with a pipe band in 1912 and shortly thereafter joined the Medicine Hat Police Department. His first three years he went from being a constable to an inspector. Then, in 1915 he quit to join the infantry and served in WWI until 1919, when he returned to Medicine Hat. He joined the Police Department again as an inspector. He was appointed Acting Police Chief and served in that capacity until 1946 when he contracted uremia and forced to retire. He passed away shortly thereafter.

Peter McQueen came to Medicine Hat in 1912. He had emigrated from England in 1907 and homestead in the Watson area of Saskatchewan. During the First World War he enlisted in the 175th battalion and on his return to Canada came to Medicine Hat. He started to work at the City of Medicine Hat as an accountant. He remained in this position for a number of years before becoming City Treasurer and later, City Clerk.

Peter also served in the community as a member of the hospital board and chairman of the rehabilitation committee at the end of the Second World War. Peter was president of the local legion for three years and vice-president of the Alberta Command.

Megan Wahl Memorial Park Megan Wahl died on July 2, 2005 after she fell asleep at the while while driving from the west coast to her home town of Medicine Hat. The memorial was unveiled September 30, 2006.

Milne PL SE

David Milne was Mayor of Medicine Hat from 1909 to 1911. He also operated a grocery store on Third Street.

Minto AVE SE

Mitchell CRES NW

Morris CRT SE

John Luther Morris was born in Alton, Ontario in 1869. In 1891 he married Lillie Evan Cantelon of Clinton, Ontario. He moved the family here in the late 1890’s and started a homestead adjacent to the banks of the South Saskatchewan River just north of Crescent Heights. His expertise however was in carpentry and so he ended up building a number of early houses in the ‘Hat, rather than farming. His first shop was in the 100 block of South Railway Street. He then built a planing mill and operated a lumber yard on a property just west of what is the new City Hall. He was an active member of the Century Methodist Church in Medicine Hat. His sudden death in late 1906 left his wife with a young family to raise.

Morrow CRT NW
(NW Crescent Heights)

Rev. James W. Morrow (1869-1914), a native of Belfast, Ireland, preached for several years elsewhere in Alberta. He was sent to Medicine Hat as a “supply minister” for two months in 1896. He then accepting the call to St. John’s Presbyterian Church, where he remained until retirement. Subsequently he continued to preach at Dunmore, Pashley, Irvine and Walsh, and evenings in Riverside School. He passed away in 1914.

(Ref: MHN Aug 11, 1962)

Muir CRES NW & Park
(NW Crescent Heights)

Murray PL NE



Noble CRT SW
(Red Deer DR & 1st ST SW)


Osborne Park
(17 ST NE & 7 AV NE)

T. Roy Osborne (1890-1982)was well known in Medicine Hat for many things, but he was probably best known as the long time publisher of the Medicine Hat News.

From the time he arrived in Medicine Hat in April 1912 until his death Osborne built himself a reputation as a doer.

Roy, as he was known, started with the News before 1914, but took time out to serve in the Royal Flying Corp in the First World War. He returned to working for the paper after the war and continued there until his retirement at age 68 in 1957. In 1942 he had taken over the role of publisher and continued in that role until retirement. During his years as a newspaper man he served as a director of the Canadian Press and of the Canadian Daily Newspaper Publishers’ Association.

He served on the Regional Planning Commission for 25 years and as a city alderman for eight years (between 1958 and 1966). The Chamber of Commerce appreciated his services for a number of years and he was president of the Medicine Hat Kiwanis Club and the Medicine Hat Cancer Society. He was also a Mason and a Shriner.

Roy also served as a major in the South Alberta Regiment before he retired from the militia in 1950.


Palliser PL NE etc.

Parker AVE NW

Partridge ST NE

Penland AVE NE


Porter PL SE

Six men are associated with the founding and early years of the Medicine Hat Stampede: Warren Cooper, Emerson Porter, “Mac” Higdon, Henry Cavan, Herman Linder and Reg Kessler.

Porters Hill SE

Preston AVE NE

Primrose DR SE

Prince ST SE

Princess AVE SE


Queen ST SE


Radisson CRT SE etc.

Rae CRES SE etc.

Randall CRT NW

Reynolds Park
(Across from George Davison School on Sprague Way)

(Date of Adoption: 1981/15/08. Ref: MHCC)

Rice AVE SE etc.

Robert James Rice (1861-1934) was born in Loggieville, New Brunswick and began his railroad career there. He later moved to Winnipeg and started working for the Candian Pacific Railway as a locomotive engineer during construction of the CPR line. Following the course of construction westward, he drove a train into Medicine Hat in 1883. It was not until 1887 that he established residence here. He married Miss Nora O’Flynn in 1891.

Bob retired from the CPR in 1906 and for six years was active as the proprietor of the Royal Hotel until he sold out in 1912. After that he attended to some farming interests and was partially retired.

Bob had joined the Masonic Lodge in Winnipeg and then joined the lodge here upon arrival. He was honored as a fifty member in 1943, a rare distinction.

During his lifetime in the ‘Hat he built or owned quite a few properties. In 1897 he bought the ranch Property near Seven Persons. For a time he owned the Bank of Montreal property and the Post Office site as well as the Regent Pool Room and the Royal Hotel. He even owned the present Court House property for a time.

Rideau CL SE etc.

Riley CRT NW & Park
(Northwest Crescent Heights)

Wilson Riley was born in Halifax, England in 1887 and emigrated to Canada in 1907, arriving in Medicine Hat to work as a stonemason on the old Post Office. He hired on as a brakeman on the CPR in 1916 and worked there until 1953 when he retired as a conductor.

Wilson was elected to City council as an alderman in 1947 and served for two terms. He then was elected as mayor in 1950, serving in that capacity for two years.

Robertson WAY SW & Park
(Cambridge ST & 4 AV SE)

Robinson CRES SE etc.

Ronan PL SE

Rose ST SW

Ross ST SE

Rossmere Way SE

Rundle AVE SE etc.

Rutherford ST NW
(NW Crescent Heights)

William Rutherford was president of the Medicine Hat Board of Trade. He worked on CPR survey before 1900. In 1900 he and Jack Rutherford opened a logging mill operation in the Cypress Hills. He passed away in 1917.
(Ref: MHN Aug 11, 1962)


Sage CLOSE SE etc

Sanderson AVE NW

Sandford CRES SE

Saunders CRES SE

Schneider CRES SE

Scholten Hill

Schuler PL SE

Scott Bay SE etc

Semrau DR NW

Shannon CRES SE etc.
(Note Mrs. Hartley Shannon and Bert Shannon P vii in Gould’s book)

Sharpe CRES SE


Shepherd CRES SE

Shields CRES SE

Shirley ST

Sierra AVE SW etc

Silcher ST SE

Sillak CRES SE

The Reverand John Sillak was born in Dorpat, Estonia in 1864. In his early youth he aspired to become a minister of the gospel. He completed his studies by the end of 1888, majoring in languages, of which he spoke seventeen. He was especially fluent in the classic langues of Hebrew, Greek and Latin. He took a post-graduate course in Springfield, Missouri, USA. At the turn of the century he took a call to do missionary work which took him to Medicine Hat and Josephburg along with other stations in the far flung west.

In 1901 he came to Medicine Hat to begin his services among the Latvians, Estonians, Germans and Russians who had settled in these parts. His missions took him further afield to Manitoba, Minnesota and North Dakota. This he did for 52 years.

In recognition of his colossal work in theological translations he was honored with a Doctorate.

Dr. Sillak passed away in Medicine Hat in 1953 at the age of 89.

Simmons CRT SE

Gordon Simmons has been recognized as a public figure in Medicine, in the sports area as well as other aspects of public life. He was born in Medicine Hat, educated here, and in his early years was quite active in hockey and lacrosse, having played in provincial playoffs.

Gord joined the South Alberta Regiment prior to WWII and then served overseas for five years. He was injured in Italy in 1944 and invalided from there to home. He was discharged from further medical treatment in 1949. He continued his involvement with the SAR and the subsequent South Alberta Light Horse. He was a member of the Citizen’s Committee and was responsible for the formation of the Regimental Association of the SALH and was its first president.

In civilian life, besides being the owner of Simmon’s Hardware, Gord was active in numerous organizations. In the Royal Canadian Legion No. 17 he held the offices of President, Provincial Zone Commander, Provincial District Command and Trustee.

He was a member of the Kinsmen Club and served as a director.

While a member of the Rotary Club he organized the Winnipeg Flood Relief Fund.

As a member of the Shrine Club he held the offices of President, President of the Shrine Band and Chairman of the Crippled Childrnen’s Committee for 12 years.

In addition, Gord was active with the Medicine Hat Exhibition and Stampede and held the following positions: Chairman Stampede Parade (5 years); Chairman of Street Decorating (3 years); Chairman of Security and Parking (16 years). He was an Honorary Director for a number of years also.

Last, but not least, he managed the Corp of Commissionaires for two years as a volunteer.

Simpson CRES SE & Park

It appears that several members of the Simpson family are honored by having the streets and park named after them. What follows is a brief biography on three family members.

Peter Marnoch Simpson (1881-1969) was born in Dundee, Scotland and emigrated to Medicine Hat in 1906. He was employed by the CPR as an engineer from 1908 to 1946. He was one of the founders of the Memorial Salem United Church. Peter served as an alderman for the City from 1923 to 1933. For a time he was chairman fo the Light and Power Committee.

Peter Marnoch Simpson (1905-1974) came with his parents from Scotland in 1906. He was employed by the City as a power plant engineer from 1929 to 1948. During WW2 he served with the RCNVR as an officer from 1940 to 1945.

Peter Marnoch Simpson (1924-?) was born and educated in Medicine Hat. He was employed with the CPR as a yardmaster, starting in 1941.

During WW2 he served with the RCNVR and was a visual signalman (1941-1945). He was also commanding officer of the RCSC from 1960 to 1966.

He served as a board member of the Cypress View Foundation from 1963 to 1982.

In 1962 he was also elected as an alderman for the City and during his time in office served on all committees of council.

Sissons CRES SE
(South Ridge)

The Sissons name is well known throughout the region as several generations of Sissons have been involved in the community. F. (Frank?) Sissons was a councilor in Medicine Hat in 1905 and 1906. Herbert Sisson when started the Redcliff Pressed Brick Plant in 1912. That plant became part of the Medicine Hat brick manufacturing empire, which survives today as I-XL Industries Ltd., with Herbert’s grandson Gordon H. as board chairman. Gordon was an alderman on City council from 1959 to 1967 and T.A. Sissons was an alderman from 1971 to 1977.

Slack ST SE

Edwin (Ted) Slack in his fifty years as a dentist in Medicine Hat never turned away anyone who needed dental care even if it meant the only payment turned out to be a chicken or other produce for the plate. During the depression and war years this happened quite a bit although Slack was a member of the Canadian Dental Corp from 1941 until 1944. He was known as the horse doctor by his friends and colleagues because of his love for horses which he raised in the Cypress Hills since the 1960s. He retired in 1987 and returned from vacationing in California for the winter because of heart problems in 1996. He will be remembered in Medicine Hat as a ‘real nice gentleman’.

Smeaton AVE SE


Smithson CLOSE SE

Somerset CRES SE etc

Souch BAY SE

Bertram Souch was a prominent businessman in the ‘Hat. He had come to the town in 1900 and ran a drug store on 3rd street, which later became Boylans. He then ran the pharmacy on Aberdeen Street.

Bert also had a homestead in what is now known as the Ross Glenn area.

He was very active in Kiwanis.

Spencer ST SE

John H. Spencer of New York and Margaretta Dickerson of Long Island were married in Brooklyn, New York in 1882 and they arrived in Medicine Hat in 1883. Mr. Spencer worked for the CPR until 1900 when he left to go into the ranching business. J. Spencer was a member of the first city council of Medicine Hat and served again on council in 1899 and 1900. He was at one time president of the Stock Breeders’ Association of the Medicine Hat District. In later years he sold his ranch and formed a company known as the Drowning Ford Ranching Company of which he was President. John Spencer passed away in 1921 in Vancouver.

Sprague Way Park
(Southridge – Between Sprague Way and Shannon Drive)

Sprague Way SE

Samuel William Sprague was born in New Brunswick in 1858. He came to Medicine Hat in 1891 as a widower, but returned to New Brunswick and married Laura Neary. Sam, Laura and his three children came west to the ‘Hat shortly thereafter. They built a home near what has become known as the “old” Eaton’s store, but later moved to a home on 8th Street where they lived for many years.

Sam was a brakeman, the conductor on the CPR for many years, until he became a partner in a grocery business called Sprague & Williamson. He stayed in the grocery business until he retired.

Samuel died in 1960 at the age of 101 after making his home in Medicine Hat for nearly 70 years.

Dr. Thomas Sprague, son of Samuel, became a veterinarian. He passed away in 1940.

Stanfield CRT SE etc

Stapeford CR SE
(Should have been Stapleford)

Stark AVE SE etc

Stein CL SE

Stevenson ST SE

Stewart DR NW
(NW Crescent Heights)

Henry McKeown Stewart (1858-1930) came to the ‘Hat in 1884 with a government survey party and stayed as the manager for a general store. That store was on the site that eventually became Black’s Hardware. He served as an alderman as well as on the school board.
(Ref: MHN Aug 11, 1962)

Stone CR SE & Park

Sam Stone and his wife Sheri moved to Medicine Hat in 1950 from Winnipeg. They had hoped, and succeded, to create a furrier company on what they described as a shoe string. Twenty-nine years later he sold the business and retired for awhile. Five years later and eager to keep busy he opened a new store but it seems even that wasn’t enough as he became an alderman for Medicine Hat from 1974 to 1986. He retired as an alderman without losing an election and immediately followed that by becoming a very busy member of the hospital board until 1992. During these periods he was a member of the board for the Association for the Mentally Retarded for 17 years, two of which he was the President. He was also on the board of the Canadian National Institute of the Blind, along with canvassing for the Canadian Cancer Society and the Heart and Stroke Foundation. No Doubt! This man liked to keep busy.

Stonegate CR SE etc

Storrs CR SE etc

Strachan BAY SE etc Robert Strachan came to Medicine Hat in about 1913. He was employed with the City in the Electric Line Department. He met an untimely death in 1921 when a power pole he was on came down and he could not unbuckle himself from the pole. Fortunately, Robert had married prior to that and he and his wife had a son that has continued the Strachan line in the ‘Hat. Several of the Strachan decendants have remained in Medicine Hat and have been employees of the City.

Stratton CLOSE SE etc

Strong AVE SE

Swan Way SE J.B. Swan arrived in Medicine Hat in 1915 from the USA. He started the Ajax Coal Company on the south side of the river, opposite Redcliff. A spur line of the CPR was laid from the ‘Hat to the mine in 1918. The mine was in operation from 1918 until 1950. The name “Swan” was associated with the locomotives and coal cars moving coal to the main line, as was the junction with the CPR, using the name “Swaney”.

Mr. Swan returned to the USA some years after the mine closed down.


Taylor AVE SE etc
(Taylor district in SE)

Professor Richard Edward Taylor, CC, FRS, FRSC, Ph.D., M.Sc, B.Sc (born November 2, 1929 in Medicine Hat, Alberta) is a Canadian-American professor (Emeritus) at Stanford University. In 1990, he shared the Nobel Prize for Physics with Jerome Friedman and Henry Kendall “for their pioneering investigations concerning deep inelastic scattering of electrons on protons and bound neutrons, which have been of essential importance for the development of the quark model in particle physics”.

Terrill RD NW
(NW Crescent Heights)

Alfred Terrill arrived in the ‘Hat in 1904 to join the Medicine Hat News, of which he eventually became the editor and publisher. For many years he promoted the city and district through the paper.
(Ref: MHN Aug 11, 1962)

Terri Clark Park
(Huxley Green & Hawthorne NE)

Born in Quebec in 1968 and living in many places around Alberta until 1979 it wasn’t until her family moved to Medicine Hat that singer-songwriter Terri CLark found herself in the place she calls home. Voted most likely to succeed when she graduated from Crescent Heights High School she followed her idols to Nashville and after 7 years of paying dues finally got her break and signed with Mercury Records in 1994 and in the next three years won many of the country music awards in North America without taking off her cowboy hat. Still Wearing the hat she has for 8 times been the ‘Fans Choice Entertainer of the Year’ for the Canadian Country Music Association. Her site on the internet testifies to her continuing popularity with her fans world wide.

Thompson CRES SE

Thompson Park
(Between Ross Glen Drive and Turner Drive)

Lorne Thompson born in Grandview Manitoba arrived in Medicine Hat when he was in his early teens and his heart remained here until his passing in July 1991. An old-time cowboy at various times he was into rodeo, ranching, cattle feeding, and even an alderman at city hall in the mid-1950s (which was not a great fit and he never tried that again). An avid rodeo participant in the 1920s and 1930s and finding that the Medicine Hat Stampede had become idle since World War II he became a major promoter and director of the Stampede as well as a participant until he was 72. In 1986 Lorne was inducted into the Canadian Cowboy Hall of Fame, and this was the only time he had missed the rodeo as he was still an honorary director. It took a bout of cancer to stop this gentleman cowboy visiting the Medicine Hat Feed Co.’s cattle auctions so that he could regularly talk to the staff and other ranchers. It was said by Lorne Jr. “That was his Veiner Centre”.

Turner BAY SE etc

Tweed AVE NW

In 1883 Thomas Tweed travelled west from Winnipeg with his partner John Ewart engaging teamsters to haul supplies from the end of the steel rails of the CPR as it was being constructed. When they arrived in Medicine Hat they set up a store in a tent in what was to become the busy centre of the town. They were open for business as soon as the rail construction crews arrived.

Soon they established a false-fronted frame store in the same area, as business boomed. This store, the Tweed and Ewart was a general store as well as the location for the post office. Mr. Tweed was the first postmaster in the ‘Hat. And Mr. Ewart kept a record of temperature and rainfall for the government.

They established another store at Dunmore, which proved quite successful, but stores in other locations were failures.

During the 1890’s turned to politics, leaving the stores’ management to his son Harry. He represented the district in the Territorial Legislature for eight years, and was a member of the Executive Council for one of those years.

Unfortunately, Mr. Tweed passed away in Montreal in 1906 while taking a rest away from activities, on the advice of his doctor, due to heart problems.

(See also the biography on John Ewart.)


Vera Bracken Library

The Vera Bracken Library at the Medicine Hat College was named in honour of Vera as a well known educator, community worker and philanthropist in Medicine Hat. Born Vera Ignatius in Warner, Alberta on July 6, 1909 Vera decided at a very early age to be a teacher like her mother and when she graduated Normal School in Calgary, which she had entered at only age seventeen, her first job was at a school she had attended herself and now she found herself teaching some of the children she had gone to school with. When in 1942 she met and married Lloyd Bracken a CPR employee they settled in Medicine Hat. Thirteen years later when her husband became ill Vera returned to teaching as the family breadwinner. In the following years she received her Bachelor of Education with distinction, and many awards for her teaching culminating with the Citizen of Canada, 1988. Her philanthropy was noted and appreciated in all the schools and the Medicine Hat College as well as many Medicine Hat community organizations. Vera stated her purpose in life was “to so live and so die that one makes a difference to someone, sometime, somehow, somewhere”. When she died in January 2004 the mayor of Medicine Hat requested that the flags at city hall and other city facilities be lowered to half-mast for an entire day out of respect for Vera Bracken

Victoria AVE SE

(East of Medicine Hat)

Although no street in Medicine Hat has been named in honour of him, Harry Veiner goes on record as having the second longest continuous term in office as mayor. Harry was first elected in 1952 and served the City until 1966 continuously, then was re-elected in 1968, serving again until 1974

Vincent Massey School

Violet CRT SE


*Wahl Memorial Statue (See Megan Wahl Memorial Park)

Washington WAY SE

Webster Niblock School

C. Webster Niblock, QC received his pre-university education in the school district he was to serve so faithfully in the years to come. He started Grade 1 in the old Toronto St. School and only left the area to further his education. He was first elected to the school board in 1936 and was a member of that board for 27 consecutive years 10 of which he was the chairman. Just before he retired the new Webster Niblock School in Crescent Heights was named in honor of Mr. Niblock.

Wood ST SE

Woodman AVE SE

Woolley PL SE

The Woolley family from near Putnam Ontario first heard about the area from their son Harvey, who had visited Medicine Hat while returning from a job in Montana, and then moved into the Dunmore area in the spring of 1902 with a car load of settler’s effects from Ontario. His father Alex followed him in the following year with 6 children, stock, and 2 car loads of settler’s equipment and supplies arriving in Dunmore April 17th 1903. They bought a half section across from Feldman Lake school and as the years went on another son Lloyd and his wife settled 5 miles south east of his fathers ranch. The families still remain in the area and take an active part in the activities of Medicine Hat. It is to be noted that Lloyd at age 87 could still be found on the back of his horse.


Yuill ST SE
(North Flats)

H. (Harry) C. Yuill (1863 – 1944) is considered to be one of the pioneers in the city. He moved into the area with the CPR and quite quickly became a very busy contractor and business man. He was on the first town council in 1899. The family tradition of involvement in local politics has been carried on by his grandson Harry Yuill who was also on City Council.


PART ONE — No Comments

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

HTML tags allowed in your comment: <a href="" title=""> <abbr title=""> <acronym title=""> <b> <blockquote cite=""> <cite> <code> <del datetime=""> <em> <i> <q cite=""> <s> <strike> <strong>